COME ON NATS FANS AND SHOW YOUR SUPPORT.
I was just on the ESPY voting page to go vote for Washington Capitals left wing Alex Ovechkin as Best NHL Player, and I noticed a curly W in a picture. I stopped and backed up to the top of the categories and went through each one and found that Stephen Strasburg has been nominated for two ESPY Awards!
Strasburg is among four athletes in the "Best Breakthrough Athlete" category since he "Became the first pitcher to record at least 14 strikeouts and zero walks in his MLB debut and Struck out the final seven batters he faced in his debut and fell one shy of the record for strikeouts in a MLB debut of 15 by Karl Spooner (1954 Dodgers) and J.R. Richard (1971 Astros)." Other nominees in this category are:
- Briettney Griner (Baylor Women's Basketball)
- Chris Johnson (Tennessee Titans)
- John Wall (University of Kentucky Basketball and the Washington Wizards recent first round pick)
- Sidney Crosby in the Olympic Hockey Gold Medal Game
- Landon Donovan in World Cup vs. Algeria
- Brett Favre in his Return to Green Bay
All Photos 2010 © Cheryl Nichols Photography/
Nationals News Network. All Rights Reserved.