Many fans of the game of baseball enjoy traveling to other ballparks and meeting other baseball fans. Some even keep track of each trip, collect ticket stubs and mark up maps with a goal to visit all 30 MLB parks some day. If you haven't visited PNC Park, home of the Pittsburgh Pirates, now is your chance!
The Washington Nationals play a three game series in Pittsburgh over Labor Day Weekend -- Friday-Sunday, September 3-5.
I'm absolutely no fan of the Penguins (I'm a Capitals season ticket holder!) or the Steelers (I'm a Seahawks fan and 2005 still stings) so I wanted to hate PNC Park. But I loved it. Truly loved it. It is one of my favorite ballparks. Dave and I first visited PNC Park in 2006 for the Futures Game and celebrity/oldies softball game, the day before the All-Star Game. We went back last August to see the Nationals face the Pirates and were surrpised at the number of Nats fans. Nats fans travel well!
PNC Park opened in 2001 along the shore of the Allegheny River. It is walking distance to downtown, several hotels and other tourist sites which means you don't have to worry about finding parking at the stadium. The park holds 38,362, however, has such an intimate feel because the highest seat in the stadium is only 88 feet from the field! That is thanks to the two-deck design. It is the first ballpark to build a two-deck design since Milwaukee's County Stadium in 1953. Fans have a great view from any seat.
PNC Park tours are offered on Saturday, September 4 at 10am, 11am and noon.
Why head to Pittsburgh this weekend?
1. Familiar Faces
- Many citizens of NatsTown are making the trip
- Watch Joel Hanrahan pitch (2010 Stats: 3-1, 57.2 IP, 45H, 24R, 18BB, 81K, 3.75ERA, 1.09WHIP)
- See if Lastings Milledge can play LF (2010 Stats: 36R, 4HR, 34RBI, .272 AVG, .706 OPS)
- Screech and the Racing Presidents will be there too taking on the Pierogies
- A fantastic variety of food for a ballpark (and more reasonably priced than most)
- Primanti Brothers - Smorgasburgh (Section 107-110)
- Quaker Steak and Lube - Section 322 and Smorgasburgh
- Manny's BBQ - Pirates great Manny Sanguillen's favorite barbecue specials! Located on the Riverwalk behind the center field wall.
3. Discounted Tickets
- All You Can Eat Seats - Outfield Reserved Sections 145-147
- College Cove on Friday - $20 gets you a ticket, t-shirt, food & drinks!
- Kids Pricing for Sunday
4. Giveaways and Events!
- Pirates Fleecie (giveaway) to all fans
- Scratch 'N Win Saturday (All fans will take home a coupon good for treats at Eat'n Park and some lucky winners will even take home official Pirates team dugout jackets).
- Pirates Charities will host a Silent Auction at PNC Park when the Pirates take on the Washington Nationals. Stop by the guest services area in section 117 for the chance to own a piece of priceless, authenticated, autographed MLB and sports memorabilia. Proceeds benefit Pirates Charities.
- Unveiling of Mazeroski Statue (outside RF gate at 12:45pm); special pre-game ceremony and Mazeroski will throw out the first pitch.
- Kids Day (Every Sunday Pirates home game is a Kids Day at PNC Park. Start out with the Family Fun Zone on Federal Street, get a kid-friendly Pirates item at the gates and stick around after the game when all kids are invited to run the bases right down on the field.)
- Kids Night Light to Kids 14 & younger