Before the start of their game against the Houston Astros, the Nationals will host a special on-field remembrance ceremony to pay tribute to the victims, their families, and the countless rescue, aid, military and law enforcement workers who responded following the attacks on September 11, 2001.
A portion of the proceeds from tickets purchased at nationals.com/heroes for the September 11 Nationals-Astros game will be donated to the Pentagon Memorial Fund. In addition, volunteers will be on hand to distribute information on how to help support the Pentagon Memorial Fund.
The Nationals observance will also include:
- Nationals players and coaches will dress in their patriotic uniforms featuring the stars and stripes Curly “W.” The MLB silhouetted batter logo will be symbolically covered on all jerseys to respectfully feature the U.S. flag as well.
- A moment of silence will be observed during the remembrance ceremony for the victims of the terrorist attacks in New York, Pennsylvania and Virginia.
- “God Bless America” will be performed, accompanied by a tribute video, during the seventh inning stretch.
- A special public service announcement featuring First Lady Michelle Obama will be shown, encouraging fans to honor the heroes of 9/11 by volunteering for community service projects.
- Regularly scheduled gameday military initiatives will take place, including:
o In-Game Military Tribute: Select military groups are given premium seats in the Lexus Presidents Club every game, where they are recognized at the end of the third inning with a standing ovation from fans in appreciation of their service.
o “Me and a Friend”: In association with the Department of Defense and the USO, children of active duty service members receive complimentary tickets for themselves and their friends to enjoy each Sunday home game.
- Commemorative base jewels and lineup cards will be used and MLB’s 9/11 “We Shall Not Forget” remembrance logo will be featured in the ballpark.
For more information or to purchase tickets for 9/11 Remembrance Day, go to nationals.com/heroes or call 202.675.NATS(6287).
**Note enhanced security procedures for the weekend.
Photo © Cheryl Nichols Photography/NatsNewsNetwork